Hiking Mount Kenya Through Castle Forest: My Experience

So recently I picked up long distance running and hiking as a hobby (in addition to blogging), and I must say it has been quite eventful. So earlier this month I joined a group of young individuals to hike the Mt. Kenya. Don’t worry we didn’t get to the top or anything like that, cause climbing the Mt. Kenya to its peak takes about 7days minimum, at least that’s what our guide told us. Anyways we hiked one slope of the Mountain (through castle forest) about 18km in distance.
So, on the D-day, I woke up very early around 4am, cause the bus meet up time was 6am at Nairobi. I made sure I was fully hydrated and energized. Got everything checked from my water bottle to my fruit snack to my camouflage face cap and shorts. Just so you know I’ve been looking for an opportunity to rock these “camo” shorts.
Anyways, we got to the entrance leading into the mountain, we did some few cardio and we started hiking. I was a bit quiet for most of the hike. Met some new guys, but I just wasn’t interested in maintaining any conversation. It’s not like I snub people, but that day, I just wasn’t feeling it.
We started the hike with our guide and started going deeper and deeper into the woods. I used to have a misconception on how mountains should be in terms of terrains. I thought I’d be climbing rocks and all that, but turns it was just forest like. Though at a point you would feel the effect of the increased altitude on your breathing. Oh, did I mention the sun was scorching hot that day.
This was our first resting spot. It was basically a stream, a lot of people went in to drink the water and cool off a bit. Not me though.


We kept walking deeper and deeper and my legs were feeling the effect. It felt like we were thick in the jungle and truly we were.


Our second resting spot.



The path started getting narrower and more dangerous as we had to climb some rocks and crawl through some paths. Finally, we got to the water fall, time to cool off and rest a bit. I didn’t swim in it though. I kind of have a phobia for water.


In the end, it was a very memorable day. We left the mountain around 5:30pm then we branched at a resort for lunch, the resort also had a swimming pool (which I didn’t use of course). Anyways I got home late around 9pm, but it was a really memorable trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FEARS

CHRONICLES OF AN NYSC MEMBER"CORPER" PART 1

NIGERIANS AND THE "PHONEE" SYNDROME: FAKE ACCENT OR BI-DIALECTED